SEARCH AND RESCUE
|ATC 056 AREA RADAR||10 Weeks||
16 May – 22 Jul 10 Oct – 16 Dec
Objectives and Learning Outcomes
It is intended that at the end of the course participants shall be able to:
- Implement initial search procedures as a prelude to formal SAR planning.
- Instigate in flight emergency procedures as a prelude to formal SAR planning.
- Apply the principles of terrestrial SAR planning both as an individual and a member of a team.
- Allocate aircraft and other resources to calculated search area in a systematic manner.
- Coordinate with other SAR authorities.
- Act as a SAR mission coordinator or member of an RCC team whenever required.
Pre- entry requirements
Good command of English. Language is essential. Nominees are Licensed Air Traffic Controllers, civil or military air crew members with at least 5 years operational experience.
However, officers of other disciplines that have responsibility for either civil or military SAR operations may also be nominated.
Subjects and topics covered:
- SAR system
- Awareness and initial action
- Search planning and evaluation concepts
- Search techniques and operations
- Rescue planning and operations
- Emergency assistance
- Conclusion of SAR operations
- SAR Plotting
- SAR Flying
- RCC exercises.
- Earth, distance and direction
- Maps and Charts
- Basic Navigation plotting
- Triangle of Velocity
- Air plot and track plot
- Navigation computer